Wednesday, March 5, 2014

My Crush With Eyeliner

I've got 99 problems...and messing up my eyeliner seems to be 85% of them...

I LOVE liquid eyeliner.  I love the look of a good cat-eye.  I don't know if any makeup trend is prettier to me than a girl who wears eyeliner.  My BFF is always rocking the most gorgeous eyeliner and I have envied her.  It just seemed like a skill that was beyond me and the limits of my patience.

I realize, though, after buying some and trying it out (once), that I was kind of okay with drawing a line across the top of my lashes.  I'm decent at drawing and I've always been good at making lines, but translating that to your face can be somewhat difficult.  The first day I wore my liquid eyeliner (on a weekend while on a playdate/movie outing with a friend), I noticed that it transferred to my upper lid.  I supposed that was because I didn't let it completely dry before looking up/forward.  I also noticed that it was extremely difficult to remove (I guess it is waterproof?!), so I had to scrub it off the best I could throughout my outing before using makeup remover to take it off when I got home.

SO THIS YEAR, I made the weirdest New Year's Resolution ever. I wanted to wear MOAR EYELINER!  After the clock struck twelve, I grabbed my liquid eyeliner, and I made the most BEAUTIFUL and PERFECT application of eyeliner ever.  It was marvelous.

And then...it seems to have all gone downhill from there.  Some days, I pull it off and it looks perfect.  Other days, I mess up and end up rushing out the door sans makeup because I couldn't fix it before I had to leave for work.  Recently I realized I could draw a thin line and make it look okay and I had a series of good eyeliner days.

AND THEN....Today happened.

What HAPPENED, Today?

I mean, I know I shouldn't have done my eyeliner in the car*.
In the dark.
In the rain.
But...I thought we had figured this out. I thought we had worked past all this.  I thought we were GOOD!

...Fingers crossed things go better tomorrow.  I don't think I'm going to do my eyeliner in the car anymore.

*I was parked at work when I started doing my eye makeup.  I would NEVER try to apply makeup while driving.  Just sayin'.

5 comments:

  1. I've been doing liquid liner for years and it's still hit-or-miss. Some days it looks awesome. Other days it looks like it's my first try. And some days the first eye I do looks AWESOME and then I made the line too thick on the other eye, and I have to decide whether I want to thicken the first (perfect) eye, or use a wipe to take off ALL THE MAKEUP on the too-thick eye (there are multiple layers of makeup on there! I'd have to start ALL OVER!), and I generally choose to ruin the perfect eye and look less like I know what I'm doing.

    What kind of eyeliner are you using? I've tried Maybelline's and I hated it. After a few hours, it flaked and peeled. My favorite is Mary Kay, but it's kind of pricey, and the Elf kind is not bad. The consistency of the liquid is a little thinner and sometimes I feel like I need to go over my line. But for the price difference, it's pretty good stuff. No flaking or peeling off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm using Hard Candy's Walk the Line right now. So far I love it. It takes a minute to dry, and I'm impatient, but so far I've had a mostly good experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use gel eye liner. It's easier to apply, but looks like liquid. I use Mary Kay's and love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Summer was recommending the MK as well. I might have to try it! The pain is finding someone who sells MK...I don't know anyone anymore!

      Delete
  4. I work with someone who sells it and my best friend sells it. I also know someone who sells it in the Macon area. I can send you any of their information and you can order online.

    ReplyDelete